Skip navigation


Standing water

Fargo city ordinances prohibit stagnant water. To report a violation of the ordinances, contact the Environmental Health Division of Fargo Cass Public Health at 476-6729. If the standing water is creating mosquito problems, call Cass County Vector Control at 701-298-2382.

Grass and weeds

Lawns grow best and remain healthiest when given regular cuttings to keep the grass at a height of approximately 2 inches. However, when lawns are neglected, they can become a neighborhood problem. Fargo has rules requiring that grass be kept to a height of 8 inches or less and that weeds also be kept under control.

To report a problem yard, call the Environmental Health Division of Fargo Cass Public Health at 476-6729. The property owner will receive a letter from the City of Fargo with a deadline to cut the lawn. If the lawn is not cut by the deadline, the City will arrange for mowing. Typical fees can be $75 to $150, depending on the size of the yard. The city also charges a $25 administrative fee in such instances. The cost will be assessed to the property owner.

Trees and brush

To report a problem related to trees or brush, contact the city Forestry Department, 701-241-1465.