Fargo city ordinances require that all cats and dogs be licensed, even those who remain indoors at all times. A license costs $5.00 per year. You can purchase a license at select Fargo veterinary hospital's, the Fargo City Animal Pound, or Fargo City Hall (Auditor's Office). Some veterinary hospitals add a processing fee to the cost of the license; there is no fee added if you buy your license at City Hall. In order to receive a license, you will need to show proof that your animal's rabies vaccination is current.
When you license your cat or dog, you will receive a licensing tag for the pet. Both the licensing tag and the rabies tag should be worn by your animal at all times.
Benefits of licensing your pet
- You will not be subject to a $60 fine for failure to license your dog or cat.
- If your animal has a current city license, you will not have to pay a $25 penalty if the pet is ever taken to the pound (you will still be responsible for the $35 impound fee and boarding fees).
- If your animal is wearing a current city license, community service officers will try to return the pet to you before taking it to the pound.
Apply for a pet license
- Licenses can be purchased online by using the licensing portal. You must be able to attach a copy of the animal's current rabies vaccination form in order to obtain a license online.
- Licenses may also be purchased at Fargo City Hall, 200 3rd St. N., Fargo. Go to the Auditor's Office payment window on the 2nd floor.