Skip navigation

Disputes between Landlords and Tenants

Condition of Property

If you have concerns about the safety of the place you are renting, your first step should be to talk your landlord and give him or her an opportunity to address the problem. It is a good idea to do this in writing and to specify what you consider a reasonable time for response. If this does not resolve your problem, you can contact the Inspections Department and speak to a rental housing inspector about whether the repairs you are requesting can be addressed under the 2003 International Property Maintenance Code or other city ordinance. If so, the inspector may arrange a time to meet you at your home or contact your landlord to discuss the situation. See our page on the rental housing inspection program for a list of common code violations.

Air Quality

If you have concerns about air quality, the Environmental Health Division can provide consultation but does not perform any air quality testing. Contact 476-6729 or

Legal Dispute

If the dispute is over the terms of your lease or the return of your security deposit, these are legal matters between you and your landlord. You can call Legal Assistance of North Dakota at 1-800-634-5263 if you need some advice or a referral. You can also review State of North Dakota regulations on landlord and tenant rights.


If you have a conflict with your tenant or landlord that you feel could be resolved outside of court through a mutually-agreed-upon meeting facilitated by a third-party, you may be interested in mediation.  The Local Community Action Agencies in Minnesota and North Dakota are managing a pilot program  to help resolve these disputes through the use of professionally trained mediators.  The program is currently free of charge to residents in the FM area.  For more information, please view the flyer (pdf).  To start the process, please print and complete a request for mediation form (pdf), then submit to either the MN or ND agency listed in the brochure, as appropriate.