Local government officials issue evacuation orders when disaster threatens. Listen to local radio and TV reports when an emergency arises. If local officials ask you to leave, do so immediately!
If you only have moments to evacuate, grab the following:
- Medical supplies: prescription medications, diabetes test strips, etc.
- Eyeglasses or contact lenses and cleaning solution
- Emergency preparedness kit
- Clothing and bedding
- Car keys
If local officials havent advised an immediate evacuation, take these steps to
protect your home before you leave:
- Bring things indoors: lawn furniture, garbage cans, etc.
- Turn off electricity and water at the main fuse or breaker and turn off water at the main valve.
- Leave natural gas on unless local officials advise otherwise.
- If high winds are expected, cover the exterior of all windows.
- If flooding is expected, consider using sand bags to keep water away.
- Make a visual and/or written record of all your household possessions; record model and serial numbers.
- Take important papers with you: driver's license, social security card, insurance policies, birth and marriage certificates, stocks, wills, etc.