How to Become a Police Officer with the Fargo Police Department
A career in a community oriented law enforcement agency can be yours if you want a job that offers: challenge, excitement, variety, teamwork and job satisfaction, opportunities for special assignments and career development, opportunities for promotion, outstanding benefit package including health and dental coverage, and an excellent retirement program.
- Look for a test date that works with your schedule.
- Contact Human Resources Generalist, Shaun Crowell, at (701) 241-8162 or email@example.com to sign up for testing by the posted registration deadline date.
- Complete a Background Investigation Packet, which will be collected at the time of the Entrance Exam.
- Read the Police Officer Applicant Handbook and Preparing for a Career in Law Enforcement.
- Read the Fargo Police Department Automatic Disqualification Criteria for Police Officer Candidates; sign and turn in the acknowledgment.
- Read the Fargo Police Department Tattoos and other Appearance Standards Memorandum.
- Locate your original (state issued) birth certificate or order a certified copy. This will be collected at the Interview Stage of the Hiring Process.
- Request official transcripts from any high schools and post-secondary institutions you have attended. Have all official transcripts mailed to: Shaun Crowell, Fargo Police Department, 222 4 Street North, Fargo, North Dakota, 58102. (Transcripts do not need to be in before your scheduled testing date in order for you to test but will be required by the time of the Background Investigation phase of the hiring process.)
- If you are claiming Veteran's Preference you need to included a copy of your DD214 with your Background Investigation Packet.
On the day of testing you MUST bring the following:
- A check or money order for $25 (Frontline Exam fee) payable to the City of Fargo
- A completed Background Investigation Packet (make sure you have signed all waivers)
- A Physical Assessment Form completed no earlier than 30 days prior to test date
- Driver's License
**The Fargo Police Department does not send applicants through a Law Enforcement Skills Program. It is the applicant’s responsibility to complete the training on their own; however you may apply without having completed Law Enforcement Skills Training.
Lake Region State College is taking applications for students in its Peace Officer Training Program located in Devils Lake (Spring/Fall), Minot (Summer), Grand Forks (Summer) and Fargo (Summer). For more information, contact Director of Peace Officer Training, John Maritato, at (1-800) 443-1313, (701) 662-1526 or email Johnathan.Maritato@lrsc.edu.
For more information contact:
Sergeant Mike Bernier Shaun Crowell, Human Resources Generalist
(701) 476-4102 (701) 241-8162