Skip navigation

Traffic and Vehicle Related Questions

 How can I contest a traffic citation?

A person who receives a traffic citation may contest it by going to the court he/she is cited to (listed on the citation) and posting bail (paying the amount of the citation). After the person has posted bail, the court clerk will assign a court date. On the specified date, the person will be able to plead his/her case before a judge and question the officer. If the judge rules in the person's favor, the bail he/she posted will be refunded. Additional information can be obtained by calling the Fargo Municipal Court at 701-241-1316.

How can I get my car out of impound?

The City of Fargo's impound agent is Border Cities Towing.  For information, call 701-280-0620 or visit our towing and impound page.

How can I find out if my vehicle has been towed?

You can call Fargo Police at 235-4493 and and give the vehicle license plate number to the communications operator. The operator will run the status of the vehicle and tell you if the vehicle has been impounded.

How can I report an abandoned vehicle?

Call Fargo Police at 235-4493  to report an abandoned vehicle. An officer will be dispatched and will place a tow tag on the vehicle. The officer will return after a 48-hour period. If the vehicle has not been moved, the officer will impound the vehicle. 

What can be done about illegally parked vehicles, such as those blocking a driveway?

Contact the dispatch center at 235-4493 and an officer will be sent to the location. If you live at the location, go out to meet the officer, and explain to them that you are a resident who cannot leave due to the driveway being blocked, the officer can impound the vehicle.

What should I do if I have been involved in a traffic accident?

First, make sure no one is injured. If no one is hurt, all parties (drivers) should exchange information:

  • Driver's license numbers
  • Vehicle license numbers
  • Names, addresses, and phone numbers of all drivers and passengers
  • Names of the insurance companies of the drivers involved

The involved persons should also write down the location where the traffic collision occurred (utilizing cross street names or addresses and street names), and the time it occurred.

What are the reporting requirements if Ive been involved in a traffic accident?

A traffic collision report will be taken by the Fargo Police Department when one of the following reporting criteria is met:

  • A person involved in the traffic collision has been injured (complaining of pain is considered injury) or dies.
  • One of the drivers is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • One of the drivers has fled the location without stopping to exchange information or check on the welfare of the other parties involved.
  • City property is involved (city vehicle, light post, signal light, etc.).

How do I make a traffic accident report?

Emergency: 911

Non-Emergency: (701) 235-4493

Any person involved in a traffic collision, that meets the criteria, can go to their local police station to make a report. The report should be made as soon as possible. The person reporting the collision needs to bring along the following information:

  • The time and location (street address/cross streets) where the collision occurred
  • The license plate number of the vehicle he or she was driving when they were involved in the traffic collision
  • Driver's license
  • Insurance information (name of the insurance company and their policy number)
  • The names, addresses, and phone numbers of all passengers in their vehicle
  • If known, the license plate numbers, names, addresses, and phone numbers of all other involved drivers and passengers

What happens if I leave the scene of an accident?

It is a crime when you don't stop to exchange required information with the other driver(s) or take reasonable steps to locate the owner of property that was damaged in an accident. You must stop your vehicle at the scene of the accident, or as close to it as possible, and remain there until all drivers have exchanged information. This information includes names and addresses, insurance policy carriers (for the driver and the owner), vehicle license plate numbers, and drivers license numbers. If the accident involves an injury or death, the penalty for leaving the scene is more severe. Accidents involving an injury or total damage greater than $1,000 must be reported to the police.

How can I obtain a copy of a traffic report?

To obtain a copy of a traffic report, you must mail your request to the Records Division. Traffic reports can be released to authorized persons such as the victim or the victims representative.