Skip navigation

Nuisance-related questions

What can I do about my noisy neighbors?
A noisy neighbor may create a disturbance by having a loud television, stereo, barking dog or by creating other noise. You may wish to seek your neighbor's cooperation first yourself, but you are always welcome to request the assistance of your beat officer to resolve the problem. If you live in a rental property or apartment, you should follow up calls to the police regarding noisy neighbors by contacting your landlord or apartment manager.

For follow-up assistance in dealing with crime or disorderly problems in rental housing, contact Deb Tellinghuisen, Fargo Police Department Crime Free Programs coordinator, at Patrol officers are responsible for investigating complaints of ongoing and aggravated noise which require monitoring and enforcement.  You can contact the Fargo Police Department at 235-4493, option 1.

What are the regulations regarding construction-related noise?
The regulations regarding construction-related noise prohibit a person, between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. of the following day, from performing any construction or repair work of any kind. However, there are exceptions to this ordinance such as snow removal equipment. 

What laws and regulations exist to protect the public from excessive and annoying noise?
There are several laws and regulations that exist to protect the public from excessive and annoying noise. Existing city ordinances prohibit loud parties (Ordinance 10-0701) and loud car stereos (Ordinance 11-0202).  The enforcement of noise ordinances depends on different variables existing at the time of the officer's investigation. Sometimes officers warn the suspected violator and that resolves the noise complaint. However, the officer may need to cite the violator, or submit an application of complaint to the City Attorney's Office to resolve the problem through the courts.

How can I report narcotics activity in my neighborhood?  
You may call the Fargo Police Departments Narcotics Unit at 241-1415 or you may call the "crime watch/tip" hotline at 241-5777.