Landlord Training Program
This is a program for landlords, property managers, resident managers and others actively involved in rental housing. Through this program, landlords, tenants, law enforcement and neighbors work together to keep illegal activity out of rental properties.
The program emphasizes two messages:
- Effective property management can significantly benefit the health of a community.
- Legitimate techniques can be used to stop illegal activity on rental property.
The Landlord Training Program includes an 8-hour training course which discusses how to keep illegal activity out of rental property. Information presented in the course includes:
- Keping property up to code.
- Maintaining property to habitability standards.
- Applicant screening techniques.
- Rental agreements.
- Fair housing issues.
- Ongoing management techniques.
- Warning signs of drug and gang activity.
- The eviction process.
- The role of the police.
After completing the training program, participants will receive notification of police activityon their rental property and free local tenant criminal history checks. They also will get a certificate of attendance and a 100-page reference manual and numerous helpful handouts.
Benefits of the Landlord Training Program
- A stable, more satisfied tenant base.
- Increased demand for rental units because of reputation for active management.
- Lower maintenance and repair costs.
- Increased property values.
- Improved personal safety for tenants, landlords and managers.
- Peace of mind by spending more time on routine management and less time on crisis control.
- Appreciative tenants and neighbors.
View comments from those who attended the class.