June 20, 2006
8 a.m. in City Commission Chambers
1. Approve Minutes April 18 meeting
2. Section 106 review - 716 Main Avenue
3. LDC text on accessory structures and update on proposed historic overlay district in Erskines Addition
4. CLG Grant Updates
5. Liaison Reports
- Planning Commission - Christine Kloubec
- Fargo School District - Peter Moynihan
- Fargo Park District - Doug Scraper
- Cass County Commission - David Shultz
- Housing Rehab - Paul Gleye
- Board of Adjustment - Daryl Bachmeier
- House Moving Board - Paul Gleye
6. Other Business
Meeting will be broadcast live on Cable One Channel 12 and re-broadcast on June 26 at 8:00 p.m.
David Shultz, Doug Scraper, Paul Gleye, Peter Moynihan
Daryl Bachmeier, Christine Kloubec, Claire Strom
Chair, Paul Gleye moved the minutes of April 18, 2006 be approved as submitted.
Section 106 review 716 Main Avenue
Mr. Shultz excused himself from discussion of this item due to a professional conflict of interest. Mr. Schultzs firm represents the owner on this project.
Mr. Gleye asked for clarification on how to appropriately deal with the issue of not having a quorum of commissioners present to vote on this issue. Ms. Thomasson said that we will take a voice vote at the meeting and follow up with telephone calls to update the commissioners who are absent and include their votes for this item.
Mr. David Scheer, owner, gave the commission an overview of the updated plan for his facade renovation project at 716 Main Avenue. Since the last review, they have added curved arches above windows to keep the feel of the windows. Structural steel beams have been found to increase the stability of the building; they think the original pillars were square, but that wasnt feasible in this project. The original ceiling remains but they arent sure if they will be able to keep it because they arent able to access it easily.
Mr. Shultz said that the proposed columns are actually lampposts with an additional steel post in them for additional support.
Mr. Gleye asked about signage. Mr. Scheer said the signage will probably be in the windows. He said that someone has told him there was a vertical sign that was mounted on the outside of the building but hes not sure if that will be used.
Mr. Scraper moved to approve the application as submitted. Second by Mr. Mohynihan. A roll call vote was taken. Mr. Shultz abstained from the vote, Mr. Gleye voted aye, Mr. Scraper voted aye, and Mr. Moyhnihan voted aye. Ms. Thomasson will follow up with the remaining members to include their votes.
LDC text on accessory structures and update on proposed historic overlay district in Erskines Addition
Ms. Thomasson stated that she and Dawn Mayo and Paul Gleye met with Polly Wendelbo on possible solution for the 5th/6th Street residents of the Erskines addition. In trying to find solutions to lot coverage concerns, it was determined that re-zoning was not viable (because of setback non-conformities).
There has been some interest in other parts of the Hawthorne neighborhood in pursuing historic overlay status. Mr. Thomasson suggested evaluating the entire neighborhood for possible inclusion in an overlay district. Her suggestion is that the city contract with NDSUs Dept of Architecture and/or the Design Center to help with the survey work, which could get us through to the design standards by October.
Mr. Joel Quanbeck was unable to attend todays meeting but, as President of the Hawthorne Association, wanted to make sure we made provisions for adequately communicating with such a large area.
Ms. Thomasson asked the commission if we should be looking at several small areas that would be interested in doing the overlay district or should we just decide to evaluate the entire neighborhood.
Mr. Shultz likes the idea of looking at the entire neighborhood because it makes sense to look at things comprehensively.
Ms. Thomasson stated that we could look at the survey results for the whole neighborhood and then adjust the boundary or boundaries as the data and support suggests.
Mr. Gleye agrees we need to go in and try to understand the area by making an assessment before we decide on potential overlay districts.
Mr. Moynihan feels we need to get the support of the neighborhood to move ahead.
To illustrate the issues facing homeowners in older neighborhoods, Ms. Thomasson introduced Kristin Sailer, a Hawthorne neighborhood homeowner who filed a request with the Board of Adjustments to facilitate a new garage on her property. In this particular case, the height requirement was an issue because it wasnt attached to the house and is over 15 which isnt acceptable per the LDC. The other issue was a setback issue. The homeowner wanted to locate the garage closer to the lot line than allowed by the LDC to try and preserve trees and open space in the back yard. The City Commission approved the appeal at their June 19 meeting.
Ms. Sailer doesnt think that an overall change in the LDC zoning categories is necessary but thinks something like this historic overlay district may be the answer to these kinds of problems.
Ms. Thomasson said that even though the proposed garage probably wasnt purely historically correct (i.e., two story double garage), the proposal was done in a way to be compatible with the historic character of the neighborhood and the property itself. Ms. Thomasson said that an overlay can make things easier for homeowners who are interested in making changes to their property that are historically compatible. The goal is for the standards to not become overly restrictive.
Mr. Moynhan moved to begin the survey evaluation of the Hawthorne neighborhood. Second by Mr. Shultz. All present voted aye and motion was declared carried.
Ms. Thomasson clarified that public input will be very important in this process. She and Dawn Mayo will try to meet with the Association at their next regular meeting to discuss this further.
CLG Grant Updates
Ms. Mayo brought the Look Around Downtown brochures for the commissioners if they would like one. These have been very popular items and they have run out of them at this time. Staff would like to reprint the brochures in a larger quantity so they last for a long period of time.
Ms. Strom has received permission to use text from her book for the tour narrative that they will use for the audio complement to the brochure.
Concern was brought forward that the tour numbers sent to building owners were not extremely durable and would probably not last for a long time. Ms. Mayo explained the funding was not available for higher quality plaques. Ms. Thomasson said that we are looking for some changes in the book and we will look at ways to promote the address rather than the building number.
Ms. Thomasson said that we have had our first request for a certificate of appropriateness. It was just brought forward yesterday so, she suggested that instead of waiting for the next monthly meeting, we hold a special meeting to review the project. The commissioners agreed to a special meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 AM