Skip navigation

FAQ: Zoning

What is zoning?

Zoning is a regulatory tool that delineates what is allowed on a piece of property. Its aim is to ensure that land uses are arranged in a manner that is logical and that property values are protected through the separation of incompatible land uses.

How do I find the zoning for my property?

The City of Fargo maintains an interactive GIS program that contains information about your property, including its zoning classification.

  1. Open the GIS map at
  2. Click on the binoculars symbol at the top, which allows you to search by address, parcel number, or subdivision.

I live in the extraterritorial area, the GIS does not show the zoning for my property. Where would I be able to find it?

You can contact the Planning Department where someone would be able to assist you with finding the zoning in ET areas.

What is allowed within each zoning category?

Each zoning category sets forth what uses are permitted (either by right or by conditional approval) in that zoning district. Development standards, dimensional standards, required setbacks, and any required landscape buffers vary by zoning district. All of these regulations can be found within the Land Development Code (LDC).

How do I apply for a zoning change?

Applications for a zoning change are available at our office, located on the 2nd floor of City Hall, 200 3rd St. N. and on our applications page. The Planning Commission, which meets once a month, will hear your request. The deadline for applications is approximately seven weeks before the intended Planning Commission meeting date.

Can I request a formal zoning determination for my property?

A “zoning confirmation letter” is an official correspondence from the zoning administration detailing in writing their interpretation of what is and is not allowed on a particular piece of property. The application for a zoning confirmation letter, which has a fee of $60, is available on the applications page.