Skip navigation

FAQ: Extraterritorial Zoning

What is extraterritorial zoning? What can the city do in its ET area?

Extraterritorial Zoning authority allows the City to enforce zoning controls on property that is outside of the city limits. The City can extend its ET authority by up to 4 miles from the city limits, provided the majority of the quarter of a quarter section is located within that 4-mile distance.

In addition to zoning, building regulations also apply and the issuance of permits is done by the City. Extraterritorial authority is beneficial in that it allows for controlled and regulated growth for those areas that will be annexed in the future.