Fargo Public Library - Children's Department
The Children's Services Department offers a variety of materials and programming for children and their families.
2014 Summer Reading Program Survey
Help us improve the summer reading program for all ages. Go ahead and tell us what you think; your opinion is important to us! We invite you to take our short summer reading program survey. You can easily access the 2014 survey through August 23, so there is plenty of time to take it. Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Fizz Boom Read
Join us for a spectacular summer of science at the Fargo Public Library! Earn a free book and take part in some of the many fun events and activities we have planned during the 2014 Summer Reading Program, from June 2 through August 9. Pick up a Reading Log at one of our library locations or online beginning June 2. Then keep track of the time you spend reading and check out some of our cool programs. Each week we'll find new ways to bubble, plop, fizz, boom and read our way through the summer!
July 21-25: Shake Your Groove Thing
• MojoFit Studios Presents Yoga for Tots: Join us for a fun-filled introduction to Yoga for young children. Appropriate for ages 2-6. No pre-registration is required
July 21, 11 a.m., Dr. James Carlson Library
July 22, 11 a.m., Main Library
• YMCA of Cass/Clay Presents Zumba for Kids: Learn some new moves as you dance your way to fitness. Approriate for children ages 3 and up. No pre-registration is required.
July 22, 7 p.m., Main Library
July 24, 11 a.m., Dr. James Carlson Library
• Free Friday Movie - Despicable Me 2 (Rated PG)
July 25, 1 p.m., Main Library
July 25, 1 p.m., Dr. James Carlson Branch
July 28-August 1: Gizmos, Gadgets, and Gears
• Robots in Space: Think robots only exist in science fiction? Think again! NASA uses robots for missions in space and here on Earth. Kids in grades 3-6 can learn about the different ways NASA currently uses robotics with Caitlin Nolby from UND’s Dept. of Space Studies Programs. We’ll also design and test our very own robot hands! Pre-registration is required.
July 28, 11 a.m., Main Library
July 28, 2 p.m., Dr. James Carlson Branch
• Would You Rather Be a Robot? Storytime and Craft: Beep! Clank! Clunk! Recharge your battery and grease your gears when we explore the world of robots at this special storytime. We’ll also make a robot craft! Appropriate for children ages 4-8. No registration is required.
July 29, 10 a.m., Dr. James Carlson Branch
July 29, 2 p.m., Northport Branch
• Pop Up STEM Museum: As the Summer Reading Program draws to a close, we’ll be tossing Science, Technology, Engineering and Math together to form a very special Pop-Up STEM Museum for kids of all ages! Join us for this open house where we’ll have demonstrations, hand-on activities, and displays presented by organizations, teachers and scientists throughout our community. Watch 3-D printing and learn about police work, astronomy, chemistry, infrared imaging and more! No registration is required.
July 30, 2-4 p.m., Main Library
• Free Friday Movie - Robots (Rated PG)
August 1, 1 p.m., Main Library
August 1, 1 p.m., Dr. James Carlson Branch
All ages and skill levels are invited to a participate in the Fargo Public Library’s Chess Club. Meetings are held every Thursday between 5:30 and 8:30 p.m. in the Fercho Room at the downtown Main Library. Our June meetings take place on July 3, 10, 17, 24, and 31. No registration is required. For more information, contact Children's Services at 241-1495.
Baby Rhyme Time
Babies ages birth to 18 months are invited to join us on Thursday, August 7 and Thursday, August 21 for the next sessions of lapsit storytimes. Held the first and third Thursdays of each month, Baby Rhyme Time takes place at the Dr. James Carlson Branch at 10 a.m., and at the Main Library at 6:30 p.m. Share songs, fingerplays, short books, rhythms and rhymes with baby while introducing your little one to books and the library! Each session concludes with open play time. No registration is required. One child per grown-up lap please.