The goal of the Fargo Public Library is to have citizens use the collection as much as they need and want. However, the library has to ensure equitable access to circulating materials for all library users and therefore established specific loan periods. To encourage library users to return materials within the specified period the library charges overdue fines.
In general: books can be checked out for 3 weeks. New, in-demand, or seasonal books may have a special 1-week circulation period. Books can be renewed in person, by telephone, or online for up to 2 additional loan periods if there are no holds. The renewal period begins the day the renewal transaction is entered.
In all library departments, with the exception of current issues, periodicals circulate for 3 weeks with 2 renewals if there are no holds. Periodicals from closed stacks and bound volumes do not circulate.
Audiobooks, CDs and software:
3 weeks, 2 renewal for an additional loan period if there are no holds
DVDs and video games:
1 week, 2 renewals for an additional loan period if there are no holds
Book Club in a Bag Kits:
6 weeks, no renewal
A library user may have up to 50 items checked out at any time.
The following limits apply in most situations (individual library departments may set limits on specific types of items, such as those in high demand, in order to ensure maximum use and availability of those materials).
Format/subject limits per card:
- 10 music CDs
- 10 audiobooks
- 10 DVDs
- 50 magazines
- 4 interlibrary loans (on request or in circulation)
- 10 software titles
- 2 video game titles
- 1 Book Club in a Bag Kit
- 1 Topic Tote
In return for the privilege of borrowing materials from the Fargo Public Library card holders agree:
- To present their card when borrowing materials.
- To be responsible for all materials borrowed on their card and to reimburse the library for lost or damaged material(s).
- To return library materials on time; to pay fines for materials returned overdue
- To recognize that the library retains the right to suspend borrowing privileges
- To notify the library promptly of a change in name, address or telephone number, or the loss of their library card.
- To recognize that the library will refer accounts of fines and fees due over $100.00 to a collection agency.
Fines and charges:
Borrowers who have more than $15.00 in outstanding fines or charges on their account may not check out materials. Borrowing may resume when fines are paid or reduced below the $15.00 maximum. Fines are 10 cents per day per item for all materials with these exceptions:
- DVDs, software, and video games – 25 cents per day per item
- Interlibrary loans – 25 cents per day per item
- Book Club in a Bag Kit – $2.00 per day
Materials returned with damage judged to be above normal wear and tear will be assessed damage fees. Materials that can no longer be circulated will be removed from the collection and assessed the full replacement cost plus a processing fee.
Items returned with damaged or missing cases, labels, barcodes, tags, or parts will be assessed replacement fees according to the following fee schedule:
- Label, barcode, or RFID tag: $1 replacement fee
- Audiovisual case or cover: $3 replacement fee
- Audio CD from an audiobook set: $7 replacement fee
Other missing or damaged items from multi-part sets or kits will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
The cost of an item is billed to the borrower when it is six weeks overdue. This bill will include the list price of the item plus a processing fee and the maximum fine for the item ($5.00 for visual media; $4.00 for all other materials).
The library will not accept replacement item(s) in lieu of payment of lost item fees or damage fees.
The names of delinquent borrowers who have over $100.00 in fees may be turned over to a collection agency. Delinquent borrowers are responsible for any fees charged by collection agencies or small claims court in addition to fines and payment for lost items. Lost items that have been paid for may not be returned for refund after 1 year.
Approved by the Library Board of Directors: 1-15-2002
Revision Approved 9-20-2005
Revision Approved 8-19-2008
Revision Approved 5-18-2010
Revision Approved 6-21-2011
Revision Approved 3-20-2012
Revision Approved 6-19-2012
Revision Approved 4-16-2013