April 20, 2010 Minutes
Board of Trustees
Fargo Public Library
Fargo City Commission Chambers
200 North 3rd Street, Fargo, ND 58102
Minutes of April 20, 2010
Present: Richard Zeck, John Dietz, James Council, Helen Levitt, Dawn Morgan
Others: Jan Murphy, Representative of Friends of the Fargo Public Library
Staff: Tim Dirks, Greg Gilstrap, Elizabeth Madson, Amber Emery, Ginny Mueller
Order of Agenda
Helen Levitt moved to accept the Order of the Agenda and John Dietz seconded the motion; motion carried.
John Dietz moved to approve the minutes of the March 16, 2010 meeting. Jim Council seconded the motion; motion carried.
Greg Gilstrap presented a report of recent library activities:
- PLA Conference in Portland, OR on March 24 - 27
- Attended by Elizabeth Madson, Amber Emery and Eva Haaland
- Children’s Department
- Spring Storytime concluded last week
- Collaborated with Newspapers in Education and the Fargodome to promote Walking With Dinosaurs show
- Continuing with the monthly Therapy Pets program
- Kids Books Club is ongoing
- Other Programs
- Rodeo Round-Up featured a rodeo clown describing his job
- Design a Bookmark – 224 designed bookmarks were submitted for this contest, where the winners from 3 age groups will have their bookmarks made into regular FPL Library bookmarks. They will be distributed throughout the year.
- Family Storytimes
- Collaborated with Valley Reading Council for author Patricia Hermes to present a program
- Babies and Books –early literacy workshop for parents and caregivers
- Toddler Dance Party – Toddlers were able to dance, make music, hula-hoop, make a musical instrument, sing and have fun.
- Electronic Resources
- 15 laptops have been ordered for a mobile training lab at the Main Library. Funds provided by the Gates Foundation and Friends of the Library.
- Teen Services
- Summer Job Workshop programs
- Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon is Friday, April 23rd from 12:00 – 2:00 PM. All Board Members are welcome
- Classic Book Club meets the third Wednesday of the month at 6:30 PM. May’s selection is The Brothers Karamazov.
- Upcoming Events
- Allan Demaray, a native flute player and storyteller, will perform in the Main Community Room on Sunday, April 25th at 2:00 PM, to commemorate the one-year anniversary of the opening of new Main.
- May 1st is Free Comic Book Day. All locations will have free comic books to give away.
- Money Smart Programs for seniors at some area retirement/congregate living centers in May. Topics are:
- What is Identity Theft?
- Surviving with Reduced Living Expenses
- Online Investment Resources
- Additional Teen Job Workshops on April 27th and May 8th.
- Dakota Discussions, a book discussion series centered on Shakespeare’s Hamlet and Lin Enger’s Undiscovered Country, will conclude on May 4th.
- Current history Book Club meets on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 7:00 PM at Main. The discussion on April 27th is Retrospect: The Tragedy and Lessons of Vietnam by Robert S McNamara and Brian VanDeMark.
- Technology Classes are scheduled for May. Topics include
- Create Resumes and Online Job Applications
- Introduction to Work Processing
- Fargo Public Library’s Online Investment Resources
- Fargo Public Library’s Online Resource: the Foundation Center
- Unraveled Crafters, an informal, enthusiastic crafters group meets on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month.
Tim Dirks referred the Board to his written report, which reflects a number of flood meetings. Also included was a meeting with the MS&R architects for the one-year walk-through and punch list review. Agreed upon items were in-take louver leaks and other minor things, such as concrete work and blinds.
The Main Library was closed for the month of March, 2009, and therefore the March 2010 statistics reflect large increases. We have seen overall growth of approximately 31% since adding the branches and building the new library.
In March, the library received $5850 from the Gates Foundation and $500 from ND Humanities Council. In addition, we received $4265 from the Friends of the Fargo Public Library for a popcorn machine (Carlson), Book Club in a Bag (Main) and Summer Reading Program Kick-off. With 25% of the year lapsed, the Library has spent 23.4% of its budget.
Friends of the Library Report
Jan Murphy reported on the Friends activities. Due to additional volunteers and 2 Job Service employees, the store was open 30 out of 31 days in March, making over $1000. The Friends have received a lot of book donations, so storage is a problem. A Book Sale and Membership Drive are planned for the week-end of May 1st and 2nd. The Friends are sponsoring comedian and author, Paula Poundstone, who will be appearing at the Fargo Theater on Saturday, May 8th. She is the national spokesperson for the Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations. Proceeds from book and CD sales from that evening will be donated to the Friends.
- Recommendation Regarding Material Challenge
Tim Dirks referred Board Members to the documents included in the April Board Packet regarding the Material Challenge made by Joan Hruby. Those documents are:
- Memo to Fargo Public Library Board of April 20, 2010
- Statement of Concern about Library Resources, completed by Joan hruby and dated March 10, 2010
- Recommendation of the Collection Development Team dated April 7, 2010
Elizabeth Madson, Collection Manager, spoke regarding the Access to Materials Policy. Amber Emery, Children’s Coordinator, detailed the reasoning typically used when deciding where material is located within the library.
Helen Levitt made a motion to accept the recommendation of the Collection Development Team in regards to Joan Hruby’s challenge. James Council seconded the motion. Motion approved with vote of 4 aye, 1 nay.
John Dietz called for the question. It was stated that Jim Lee, a neighbor of Joan Hruby, was present and wished to address the Board prior to voting on the matter.
Jim Council moved to suspend the rules of parliamentary procedure to allow Public Comment prior to the vote on previous motion regarding recommendation of the Collection Development Team. John Dietz seconded the motion; motion carried unanimously.
Jim Lee commented on the challenged book and its location.
John Dietz withdrew his motion to call for the question. Discussion continued. Helen Levitt called for the question. The motion to accept the recommendation of the Collection Development Team in regards to the Joan Hruby challenge was passed with a vote of 4 aye, 1 nay.
Next Board Meeting
The next regular Board meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 18, 2010, at 4:00 p.m. in the City Commission room.
The meeting adjourned at