May 20, 2011 Minutes
FARGO CASS PUBLIC HEALTH
BOARD OF HEALTH
Present: Michelle Donarski, JD; Dinah Goldenberg; Diane Moderow; Ken Pawluk; and Mike Thorstad
Excused: Nicholas Dorsher, DDS; Kathryn Leclerc, Tim Mahoney, MD; and Richard Rohla, MD
Others Present: Larry Anenson, Ruth Bachmeier, John Baird, Myron Berglund, Desi Fleming, Melissa Perala, and Cheryl Wavrin
Michelle Donarski called the meeting to order.
1. Announcements: Circulated a brochure on the City of Fargo Comprehensive Plan and encouraged everyone even citizens outside of Fargo to make recommendations on the web site. Kim Lipetzky is taking the lead for our department.
Ruth talked about cancelled class on the impact of health care on public health at the University of Minnesota. Congratulated Larry on finishing his PhD from North Dakota State University.
2. Approve Minutes March 17, 2011: Mike Thorstad made a motion to approve the minutes, Dinah Goldenberg seconded, and motion passed.
• Budget Report through April: Melissa distributed a revised expense form. Grant purchases cause numbers to be higher at this time of year.
• First Quarter Statistical Report: Ruth said the first quarter was comparable to first quarter 2010. Environmental numbers are up and down because of the flood.
• Health Officer’s Report: Dr. Baird circulated written report of activities from January to May 2011 and highlighted different items.
4. 2011 Legislative Session:
• State Aid Increase: Ruth circulated updated legislative review with final results of each bill and how it affects us. Significant amount of federal dollars related to health care reform that ND did not access is now not filtering down to the local level. We will continue to work on accessing that money.
• Universal Immunizations: Ruth explained in detail about universal access in North Dakota, clients paying administration fee, pharmaceutical companies opposition, 317 funds for uninsured, taxpayers paying twice when insurance companies should be paying, concern of families going away from private providers, Places us in a quandary. Dinah asked if we think the public will understand this. Some places in the state have already shifted to local public health. Immunizations do not make money and are very complex and we do not have staff to become an immunization center. Suggested we survey the private providers to find out what they are going to do. Implementation is set for October 1 and there may not be enough money allocated from the general fund. Requested this item be placed on the agenda next time and to talk to Dr. Rohla and Dr. Mahoney about this issue.
5. NAACHO Grant Application: Desi, Larry, and Ruth have written a NACCHO grant as the first step in accreditation preparation. This grant is for $35,000 over 18 months. Talked about demonstration project, partnering with NDSU, Family HealthCare Center, Sanford, Southeast Human Service Center, Fargo Public Schools, Cass County Social Services, Chamber, Essentia, City of Fargo, Lutheran Social Services, and United Way. Ken Pawluk made a motion to approve a letter of support for authorization for the grant application, Diane Moderow seconded, and motion passed.
6. 2012 Budget Process and Priorities: Will be starting in the next three weeks and wanted some recommendations. Some suggestions for additional projects were obesity prevention projects, home visitation, and worksite wellness at business level. Board chair said we do a great job of providing services.
7. Next meeting: Scheduled for June 28.
8. Adjournment: Dinah Goldenberg made a motion to adjourn, Diane Moderow seconded, and motion passed.